Please note: This example refers to the TravelSmart program, which is now merged with the Your Move program through which we continue to support workplace action.
“The Vincent Bike Swap Meets have fast become a unique space for all manner of bike enthusiasts to meet - and they make a great ramble on a Saturday morning! At the last event, a family of four walked in and all four rode out on their new bikes!”
– François Sauzier, TravelSmart Officer, City of Vincent
The Vincent Bike Swap meet was a community bike market event initiated by the City of Vincent to support local cyclists. The event provided a unique space for people to learn about the City’s cycling related projects, get information on cycling in Vincent and to buy, sell and swap bikes.
The City initiated a series of Bike Swap Meets, kicking off the first event in March 2014.
- Twenty traders registered for the first event, with the proceeds to charity organisation Bikes For Humanity.
- Each trader had a stall section in the event space where they could trade various bicycles, bike parts and cycling paraphernalia.
- The Swap Meet was held in a high profile area, inviting many members of the community to get involved.
- Information was available through the City of Vincent stall about the progress of local cycling projects, including TravelSmart news and updates on the Bicycle Network Plan.
- Participation of over 400 community members on the day.
- Contributed to building the local cycling culture by attracting new and diverse members of the community.
- Over $3,000 raised for the affiliated charity, who advised that it was one their best ever fundraising events.
- Many people visited the City’s stall, learning more about the City’s Bike Network and TravelSmart initiatives.
- The success of the event has resulted in the City announcing it will become a regular fixture of annual events including Bikeweek and Ride2Work day.
- This case study was highly commended within the TravelSmart ‘Innovate’ category.